Honduras. Explore diving in Honduras. The outstanding reef systems draw divers from all over the world, and the islands have become a veritable hive of dive activity. Part of the second largest barrier reef in the world, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the islands of Roatan and Utila in particular feature vibrant coral, multi colored tropical ...
April 15, 1980 A caravan of the National Party of Honduras members are attacked by communist agitators in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. May 14, 1980 A mass killing of civilians fleeing El Salvador across a border river with Honduras kills 350 to 500 civilians is reported in El Tiempo Tegucigalpa, Honduras (Florida Today Salvadoran deaths reported June 7, 1980 p. 12A).
· A vast corruption scheme in Honduras involving the embezzlement of public funds through shell nonprofits and a secretive slush fund controlled by the presidency, is linked to dozens of nonprofits and at least 176 politicians, according to court documents and sources familiar with a wideranging investigation by anticorruption prosecutors.
It's 350,000 hectares (865,000 acres) supports the highest biodiversity in Honduras, yet the Honduran Mosquitia remains unexplored and poorly known scientifically. In 2012, this region was thrust into the limelight when the ruins of large urban settlements believed to represent the fabled Ciudad Blanca, or White City, were discovered within it.
Honduras has four distinct regions: the central highlands, Pacific lowlands, eastern Caribbean lowlands, and northern coastal plains and mountains. Mountains are plentiful in Honduras, with peaks as high as 9,347 feet (2,849 meters), though Honduras is the only country in Central America without volcanoes. Map created by National Geographic Maps.
· Inga Foundation. There's a 'wonder tree' in Honduras that's acting as a gamechanger—creating organic farming livelihoods, climate resistance, and hope to farmers in .
· This festival is held every April 14. Honduras celebrates this Day as a way of showing how proud they are to be a part of the American Continent. This is a festivity celebrated all over the country but some people have distinct approaches to celebrate this holiday. This day is not celebrated as a national holiday and offices remain open.
· Lempira, Honduras. ELITES AND CRIME / 16 FEB 2021 BY INSIGHT CRIME EN. ES. Lempira is not a major hub for organized criminal activity but is nonetheless an important transit point for illicit narcotics and a political power center for National Party politicians involved in cocaine trafficking. Most notable in this regard was the president's ...
· While Honduras' crime stats are frequently published all over the media, those that venture to Central America's second largest country will be pleasantly surprised. Friendly locals, diverse wildlife and pristine scuba diving in Utila await, plus there are far fewer touts swarming around tourist attractions in .